Wednesday 26 September 2012

Getting going in the morning ...

I blame my parents!  They love coffee and they are the kind of people who can have a cup just before bed and then sleep soundly.

I love the smell and  I love the taste but I really hate caffeine.  I was a complete junkie.  You know how it is when you're busy juggling work, home and being a parent.  I just kept drinking more and more.


"Empty cup coffee" © 2009 picsishouldshare 
I really thought I couldn't get up in the morning without one, two, three cups or more.  My head hurt and I was irritable and shaky.  I thought this was all the fault of tiredness and that some mega shots of the black stuff would cure it.


But it wasn't.  It was caffeine withdrawal which kicks in after less than 12 hours.  And when I finally went cold turkey and gave it up - boy that was hard - I suddenly felt fine in the morning.  I am not saying I was bounding with energy - I've got a toddler so don't always get a full night's sleep - but I didn't have headaches, I wasn't grumpy, grump, grump and I didn't have the shakes. Result.

I do have the odd cup occasionally because I do like it and it tastes so much better when you're just enjoying the taste and aroma rather than craving the caffeine.

What are your thoughts? Is caffeine friend or foe?

Note to self
Decaf really does taste just as good!


Did you know?
Caffeine increases the rate at which your heart pumps blood round your body 

No comments:

Post a Comment