Friday 28 September 2012

Steady as it goes

Does your heart ever feel like it's all of a flutter? Unless it's in the early throws of love, it's not a nice feeling is it?


And it turns out, it's not great for the old ticker either which prefers to be as regular as clockwork.   The great thing I've discovered is that if you breath steadily your heart automatically finds a nice steady rhythm.

If I've had a bit of a stressful day I sit down quietly and breathe in through my nose, letting my belly expand gently and then breathe out slowly through my mouth.  

After a minute or so I'm nice and relaxed and I count how many beats I breathe in for.  Then for 5 minutes or so I try to breathe in for this many beats each time and breathe out for a few beats more.

It's as simple as that.  I'm nice and calm and the old ticker's happy.

Note to self: Take some time each day to breathe steadily.

Did you know? A steady heart rhythm can reduce your risk of a heart attack

You may also enjoy:
You know how to breathe, right?
Taking it slowly

No comments:

Post a Comment