Wednesday 3 October 2012

Letting it all out

 © 2009  C Cloutier Creative Commons Licence
What do you do if someone asks you to take a good long breath?

My reaction would be to suck in my breath for as long as possible and then let it all out in a rush.  

But it seems that this was another bit of my breathing that had got itself into a bit of a tizz!

I've discovered that the best thing for my lungs, my heart and just about every other bit of my body is to breathe out for as long as I can and to breathe out for longer than I breathe in.

So, now I am practising this exercise - sitting quietly, breathing in through my nose letting my tummy expand, counting the beats as I breathe in and then breathing very slowly out counting the beats until I've breathed out for a couple of beats more than I breathed in.  

As I relax I try to go just a little bit slower still - without straining - as I let it all out!

Note to self enjoy relaxing as you breath out slowly
Did you know? breathing out for longer helps to clear your lungs so you can breathe more effectively which is really important for anyone with COPD, Asthma, Emphysema or anxiety attacks

Enjoy more posts about breathing well: 
So you know how to breathe right?
Taking it slowly
Steady as it goes

No comments:

Post a Comment